I have been enjoying my last few weeks at home before heading back to Austin, and have been testing out tons of delicious recipes to share with you.
I like to eat a hearty, healthy breakfast to ensure I have enough energy to get through the day.
Since I have been trying to up my fruit and veggie intake and cut a lot of the gluten out of my diet, I have been obsessing over Van’s gluten free waffles!
These waffles are delicious, organic and packed with protein. I like to layer bananas and blueberries with a little bit of Agave syrup drizzled on top. They are filling and a great way to start the day!
The Texas heat zaps my appetite sometimes and the only thing I can bring myself to have for breakfast is a cold smoothie. The Mean Green smoothie is high in Vitamin C, Omega-3s and beta-carotenes to get you up and get you going.
The Mean Green
1 small banana
1/2 cup pineapple chunk
1 1/2 cup spinach leaves
1 celery stalk
1/2 pink grapefruit
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1. Chop the fruit into small chunks.
2. Add the carrots and celery into the blender first and blend.
3. Blend until smooth. Stop and stir throughout to reduce lumps.
Next time you need a breakfast replacement, or a cool, filling snack please try this!
Hummus Turkey Wrap
Deli turkey meat
1/2 Laughing Cow cheese circle
Hummus (Trader Joe’s)
Optional: side of BBQ Pop Chips and a few Strawberries
Simply wrap the turkey, cheese, hummus and veggies up in the whole grain tortilla and enjoy! So quick, so easy and so perfect for quick lunches between classes.
Mushroom and Chicken Sausage Pizza
1 whole wheat pita pocket (Trader Joe’s or Target’s Flatout)
1 chicken sausage link (optional)
low-fat marinara sauce
Parmesan, goat cheese and mozzarella cheeses (little of each)
handful of spinach (yay more veggies!)
salt, pepper, garlic salt
1. Sautee your mushrooms in a cooking pan with the salt, pepper and garlic salt.
2. Add in the chicken sausage and cook on medium/low heat.
3. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees fahrenheit.
4. Open up the pita pocket and spread marinara sauce. Place in the over for 2-3 minutes.
5. Take the crust out and add a little more marinara, tomato slices and the cheeses.
5. Top the pizza with TONS of spinach and place the pizza in the oven for 4 minutes.
6. Finish the mushrooms and sausage and add to the top of the pizza along with more spinach (it wilts).
7. Broil for 3 minutes.
I hope y’all try these recipes and love them as much as I have.
If anyone has healthy suggestions for snacks or meals, please leave a comment- I love adding new items to the rotation!